Friday, February 5, 2010

Raise it up...

A little story that is so exciting, I have no choice but to share...

Who'd have thought that a Wednesday night out at a not-so-happening bar could have taken such a turn? The bar itself was lots of fun, despite it's seedy Friday and Saturday night reputation. But it was made even better when I discovered that we were sharing this place with Florence Welch, of Florence + the Machine, for the night.


I was standing in the very small bathroom (or should I say swaying, considering many drinks had already been consumed?), and noticed the distinctive red hair and British accent. Not even considering she might be the real thing I decided to tell this woman that she looked like Florence. "Excuse me, do you know the band Florence and the Machine?", I asked. "Yeah we're in that band." she replied, pointing at her blonde friend.
"Oh really?", internally hyperventilating, "How are you liking Australia?" I started to ask. But my friends emerged from their cubicles and started showering her with praise, leading to my friend getting a birthday hug from Florence (and a compliment on a particular ring that she was wearing), as it was the celebration of her 18th that had brought us to this bar in the first place. Throughout the rest of the night, she was hard to get to, as her camp were occupying half the bar space (having just finished a gig). But I also got a hug later on, after she smiled and waved at me and told me to get another drink.
Then it was onto the dancing. That's right. We were dancing with Florence, and her British roadies (who would later ask us to come back to their hotel for another 'party' - we declined) to everything from Michael Jackson to Calvin Harris. But it eventually reached 4am, and we were all kicked out. Needless to say, it was one of the best nights of our lives.
I cannot stress how unbelievably, effortlessly cool Florence is. Granted she was very much enjoying herself (aka, drunk), but she still managed to be so lovely.
I haven't stopped listening to her music since.

Bring on the celebrity-meeting stories, readers!

Romany

[photo courtesy of whatsthegoodness.blogspot.com]

No comments: